IS HE/SHE SACAP REGISTERED?
It is illegal to provide Architectural services of any nature without being registered with the South African Council for the Architectural Profession (SACAP).
HOW TO CHECK IF THEY ARE REGISTERED?
If they provide a Registration number, check on the SACAP website if they are indeed registered.
– Go to
and type the name in of the person you are
– OR Phone SACAP on 11 479 5000 to enquire
– OR Scan their QR code – usually supplied in their
email signature or quote, it takes you straight to
their registration certificate.
If no proof can be provided or found, they are not SACAP registered professionals, and their quote should be eliminated for your own protection.
ARE THEY WHO THEY SAY THEY ARE?
If they are registered, also check if they are registered in the category they claim to be in- i.e; an Architect has to be Pr. Arch.
If the letters in front of the number is anything else but Pr. Arch, this means they may be registered as one of the following-
· Professional Senior Architectural Technologist
· Professional Architectural Technologist
· Professional Architectural Draughtsperson
· Candidate Architect
· Candidate Senior Architectural Technologist
· Candidate Architectural Technologist
· Candidate Architectural Draughtsperson
Please note- they may not call themself an Architect in any way or form (in their logo/quote, etc.) if they do not have a valid Pr. Arch number, as this qualifies as misrepresentation.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE PROFESSIONALS? WHY DOES IT MATTER?
The list goes on, but the big difference is the level of qualification & education. The most noticeable difference for you as a client, would be, that Architects are the only trained designers.
The design a good architect can deliver is not just likely to add value to your quality of life, sense of wellbeing and emotional attachment to your home, but will also increase the monetary value exponentially, of what is probably one of your greatest financial assets-
FURTHER KEY QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER
– Do they have good references from previous clients?
– How many years experience do they have in the industry?
– Do they have a website with impressive previous projects that you can identify with?
– Any further positive info on their social media profile? (Facebook or Instagram, etc.)
This vast difference in qualification, reputation, experience and design skills could also explain the big difference in Fees you might see between the quotes received.
NOW ASK YOURSELF-
With your building project you are putting possible millions of your hard-earned Rands in the ground- Would you not want the best possible and most experienced and trained professional you can afford?
Your Project deserves the best!